Am I a Writer?

Time will tell. Note: Quite often, I write about people I know. If any of you object to anything I have written, let me know and I will remove it.

My Photo
Name:

Wannabe. Living in Vientiane, Laos. Has blog to avoid sending lengthy emails.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Thoughts about the 'Berra


This post is dedicated to Jackie Chan. Yes, that’s right, the international superstar, and I’d like to draw your attention to the front page of yesterday’s Canberra Times which had a story all about Jackie, who was back in town to bury his dad. Yes, that’s right, back in town to bury his dad. Irrefutable proof that he did in fact used to live here.

My friend Nicola, who is also in Canberra now, says that I can easily outdo her in the Bountiful Supplies of Useless Information Stakes. And yet when I know I’m right, I’m cruelly mocked. You know who you are…Cait.

This post is most certainly not dedicated to the guys at Customs in Melbourne airport, who confiscated the whacky clock someone at Vientiane Times had given me as a farewell gift. It was a clock with seeds and beans in it, and they took it away! They did, though, let me take a photo of the back of it, where Pong, the entertainment reporter, had drawn a picture of me - wearing a sinh and with my motorbike!

And I will give a special shout out to those individuals - you know who youse are - who participated in my 'classy' last Saturday night in Vientiane- the crowning glory in that fortnight of Last Times (last Khao Piak Khao at Judy, last beer at Sunset Bar, last massage etc). And when I say 'classy', what I really mean is 'absinthe'. Say no more?

The new daily grind
So here I am back in Canberra. It’s all going well. The weather is great, the trees are changing colour, and work in the courtroom is a breeze, as I find I already know half the lawyers and prosecutors from law school. The Island will be here soon, and enough of my friends are still around to give me some semblance of a social life. I’ve been blessed with the glory of a weekly pay-check (weekly!), and pulling out all my old clothes that I didn’t take to Vientiane is like having a whole new wardrobe. I’m still working my way through all the great DVDs I brought back, and it’s all pretty good living rent-free at my parents’ house for the moment.

But every time I think about Vientiane I get all negative, and find I’m still having difficulties. With many things, but mainly the general inconvenience of living in a developed country. All these 'road rules' stink, and I’m really not inclined to go out if I have to pay more than $5 for a drink (ha!). Also, I just don’t get why the shops all close at 5.30pm here. When am I supposed to buy stuff? Or go to the post office? Or the bank? In my lunch break? I don’t think so. And when my external hard drive broke last week with all my photos on it, I really did half expect the guys at Harvey Norman to just shrug and take to it with a screwdriver, and return it later semi-fixed. You know, like they would have in Laos. But no, it's busted, gone, and there's 'nothing they can do'. Pathetic.

I can’t seem to listen to much music, either, because everything takes me back to Ban Saphanthong, in that overwhelming rush that only comes from music. Or look at any photos, for obvious reasons.

Plus, I’m just not interested in any food that isn’t, at the very least, Asian-inspired. Which isn’t such a problem I guess; I have recently rediscovered the delights of the Asian Noodle House, which has just opened a city branch. It’s run by a Lao family, and I certainly don’t hesitate to engage all the staff members in conversation in their native language, ignoring the fact that the restaurant is packed and they’re completely run off their feet. Because, see, it’s all about me these days.

These days…Well these days I’m spending at least half my days in the ACT Magistrates Court reporting on rapists, murderers and paedophiles (of which Canberra really does seem to have a disproportionately high number), while studiously ignoring how well dressed all the young female lawyers are. There’s some serious competition between them, I can tell. In fact, girls in offices everywhere are trying to outdo each other in the fashion stakes - it's probably all that gets them through the day, really.

Well, I shall rise above it. True Colours have done me proud with my classic work wardrobe. I don’t care if that prosecutor who’s usually on Tuesday mornings has an $800 suit from Saba. I’m too good for those kinds of insecurities...

Anyway, so I guess things have changed. I’ve changed, certainly – my whole personality has changed. I realised this the other day when I found myself screaming “Faaaaaark!” outside the court after waiting with other journalists and photographers in the freezing cold for 40 minutes only to discover the dude we were waiting to photograph (a teacher who’d been busted feeling up a student) had slipped out the side door.

Also, these words coming out of my mouth in yesterday’s exclusive interview with Paralympic world biking champion Michael Milton (appearing on Australian Story tonight): “So Michael, you’ve successfully battled cancer twice now. What is it that drives you? Is it courage,...or fear?”

I’ll leave you to ponder that, and perhaps to mourn the Sarrie you once knew…kidding! You all know I’m nothing if not a consummate professional! I’m just doing my job!

Bye for now…

3 Comments:

Blogger cdiddy said...

I am sorry for doubting Mr Chan's illustrious heritage and for convincing you that a clock full of seeds would get through customs. Let that be two lessons in never listening to me.

Life on the couch has lost all colour.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Mel in Lao said...

I knew the clock wouldn't make it through.

I cannot comment further than....'it's not the same here without you - come back!'

9:06 PM  
Blogger sandianshui said...

Hi Sarrie
I'm off to volunteer in Laos and wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed your blog. Gives me an idea of everything I have to look forward to!

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home