Am I a Writer?

Time will tell. Note: Quite often, I write about people I know. If any of you object to anything I have written, let me know and I will remove it.

My Photo
Name:

Wannabe. Living in Vientiane, Laos. Has blog to avoid sending lengthy emails.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Outed

I had a call on Tuesday night, from Ireland. It was my best of all besties, Brooke, who is over there at the moment, taking Dublin by storm, no doubt. Gosh I do miss her, but we've been living in different cities for at least the last three years now. She, being a beach bum, headed up to honey-skinned, bleachy-blond Sydney, while I languished in Canberra for a while longer before fleeing to Melbourne, bastion of all that is "edgy", where I have been able to wear black and brood to my heart's content.
She finally decided to update her blog- only, as she points out, to spite me. In her post, she alluded to that fact that I am going to Laos. "Allude"- what am I saying? She outed me! I wanted to keep that one in the bag until, like, the day before I left, so that I could just sort of swan off, thus increasing my enigma.
Too late. Enigma never worked for me, really. My "friends" make sure of that.
My other bestie, Cristy Clark, who has been bossing me around since we were both five, married Paul, her old highschool boyfriend earlier this year, and my wasn't it something? They (the "Pristy/Craul" entity), are currently in Vientiane, Laos, soon to head back to Our Nation's Capital. Together, they conspired to have me go over there and take over their job, house, life, their very identity, so that they can come back to the 'Berra and start a pretty family. Or something.
So that's what the next year holds for me. Against all odds, previous plans and expectations, I am taking up a twelve-month Youth Ambassodorship with Ausaid, starting January. Look out- will Vientiane ever be the same again??
But I'm not going to talk about that just now.
Instead, I'll tell you about my friend SC.
SC and I have been friends since 1996. I have long accepted that, were he not a permanent passenger on the Manly Ferry (heh), we would have settled down, oh, years ago.
But, as it is, I am the square straight one who stayed behind and did a couple of degrees, while he flitted around the world, or Asia, anyway, for years and years and years.
But we have stayed friends the whole time, a fact that continues to amaze me, given how irritable and prickly and fickle I can be, particularly towards him. He seems to have accepted it as his "lot" in life. It's because he's Catholic, I suspect: I am the cross he has to bear, but he doesn't seem to mind.
Anyway, our paths intersect but never quite seem to meet. All those years, he has been urging me to go somewhere in Asia. "You'd love Thailand, Sally," he always used to say when I whinged about being stuck in Canberra. Meanwhile, I used to bag him for never having finished the degree he started in 1997.
Long story short: I'm heading off for my first big Asian adventure, probably for quite some time, while he, degree finished, piece of paper in hand, has accepted a job with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade-DFAT, for love of god, in Canberra!
Oh, the hilarity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home