Am I a Writer?

Time will tell. Note: Quite often, I write about people I know. If any of you object to anything I have written, let me know and I will remove it.

My Photo
Name:

Wannabe. Living in Vientiane, Laos. Has blog to avoid sending lengthy emails.

Friday, December 02, 2005

Rock-ervil River

Last night I went and saw Okkervil River play at Ding Dong Lounge. I went with the Melbs.org boys- namely Patrick, my fellow J-school alumni, and his housies Ben and Andrew. Ben plays bass with the band Deloris, who were supporting O-River. Throughout the set, we stood right at the front, and gazed at him steadfastly and, we thought, encouragingly. Didn't he look nice in his checked shirt and skinny jeans? We were forgetting, perhaps, that this would make Ben uncomfortable. Pat kept daring me between to yell out "Ben's my favourite!" (because he is), but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I thought the rest of the band would find this disrespectful. And besides, as Ben himself pointed out after, there are 2 Bens in Deloris at the moment.

Anyway, Okkervil were damn fine, totally ace. I just dig that type of show so much. What is it called- literary rock? You know, with actual, well-thought-out poetic lyrics. Must immediately buy the album.
I'm exhausted this morning. My feet are killing me, although that's mostly my fault for wearing inappropriate shoes. Pretty gold flats from Witchery just don't cut it on the bar-room floor, particularly not when they're falling apart, and you've been wearing them since you left the house at 8.30am. Right? So no more whining about the sore feet, Sarrie.
I don't go to nearly as many shows as I used to, and if it weren't for my music soulmates in Melbourne like Pat, or my friend Annie, I would hardly go at all. I used to go to shows alone all them time- the life of a musichead outside of college is frequently solitary. But I'm over it- it's just not as much fun, standing alone with just a beer for company.

Before the show, we stopped by the Napier hotel for goodbye drinks with my friend Miki, another fellow J-crew member. She's doing what all 'serious aspiring' journalists are supposed to be doing, and moving to the country to do a cadetship. It's a new start, and she'll do exceptionally well, I know it.
Dammit, it's what I would be doing were it not for Laos and Ausaid. Anyway, Miki is a tad concerned because of something someone said when she was offered the job. "A bit dogmatic", I think it was. We've surmised that this must be due to the fact that she's vegetarian and, I dunno, she did Aboriginal Studies at Uni or something. Pretty radical for these country folk, apparently.
I'm sure she'll do fine.
My friend Nelly showed up briefly as well. I was going to write about her before, mainly because of an amusing tidbit that I wanted to get down before I forgot. Nelly is Italian, and thus exceptionally attuned to matters of ethnic interest and/or sensitivity. She is also currently angling for a job at a major paper (you know the one), and got it in her head to do an investigative story whereby she covered herself in a burqa for a day and went, you know, undercover. Her plan was to go to Chapel St or Chadstone and gauge the reactions from fellow shoppers or sales assistants. Probably a bit passe but, well, it's that kind of paper really.
Anyway, Nelly and I went out to Coburg a few weekends ago to purchase such a garment. It shouldn't have been difficult- there were many stores advertising the very best quality "Islamic Womenswear" and the like. Nelly had selected the shop she wanted to buy from and was busy trying to come up with a suitable, plausible, sensitive explanation for why someone like her could be purchasing an all-covering Muslim garment ("I'm in a play. It's for my niece. No, wait, I've converted to Islam.") I had almost persuaded her that in fact, the sales assistant probably wouldn't give the slightest shit as to the reason, when we arrived at the shop and found it closed- for Ramadan! For some reason, I thought this was hysterical at the time.
The story never got written, because another paper got to it first. I cant help feeling a bit relieved for her sake.
Anyway, I have to go back to work. It's pouring with rain today, and a bit chilly. But of course, because yesterday it was 35 degrees, and this is Melbourne after all. I had planned to go to Zomp over lunch to find some appropriate footwear for my upcoming work in Laos (any excuse for new shoes, really), but I didn't bring my brolly. Stupid- the rain was forecast, and the forecast is almost always right.
I'm spending the weekend packing, what a bore. But I think the Okkervil album will provide a most appropriate soundtrack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home